Thursday, November 12, 2009

Homemade 'Maple' Syrup



Store bought syrup has changed for the worse since I was a kid. Today's version is anything but appetizing in my honest opinion. My preference is organic maple syrup (as in real maple syrup) but often times my budget won't allow for the real deal. Typical ready made brands are gloppy and contain a mile long list of ingredients. If you'd like to taste and make a syrup close to real maple syrup, why not try the recipe I use.

Homemade 'Maple' Syrup

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar (I prefer organic evaporated cane sugar)
1 cup filtered water
1/2 teaspoon Mapleine maple flavoring

Directions:

Bring water to a boil and add the sugar. Cook for a minute or two to melt the sugar (this will help thicken the syrup a bit). Add the maple flavoring and stir well. Store in a glass container in the refrigerator for about a month. You can store it longer, but the sugar may begin to crystallize but heating well will remelt it ..

Pictures: 'maple' syrup after cooking, Mapleine flavoring and finished syrup (I made 1/2 recipe) in a recycled maple syrup bottle

4 comments:

Maria Stahl said...

Thanks Mrs. Mac.

I buy my maple syrup on eBay, by the gallon. Last time it was from Waldenantiques (http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=waldenantiques) in Indiana and I was very pleased. It's a chunk of money all at once but if you compare it to the grocery store price on one of those little bottles, it's a great deal.

Trish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trish said...

Well Cathy...I will surely try this! When the Grandbabies are here for Waffles a $7.00 bottle is gone in no time!!!
Thank you for this money saving recipe.

Pat said...

Looks like a good and simple recipe, but we hardly use syrup here because of Hal's diabetes. I love Knots Raspberry syrup..my fave!
So..is it pronounced Sirup or Seerup ?