Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mushroom Barley "stuffing"

I adapted this recipe from Weight Watchers. You can check out the original recipe there. I loved it!! And it's SO good for you! Did you know that barley has 15g fiber per cup!!! It's my new favorite grain!!

1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked barley, pearl variety
2 tsp olive oil, divided
1 medium onion(s), chopped
2 small carrot(s), diced
1 pound(s) mushroom(s), fresh, (I used portabella that I got on clearance at the grocery for half off!!)
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp ground sage,
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 cup(s) canned veggie broth
2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
Instructions
Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan; add barley.
Cover saucepan, reduce heat and simmer barley until tender, about 30 minutes; drain.
Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick stockpot over medium-high heat; add onion and carrots. Cook, stirring often, until onion is lightly browned and almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring often, until all vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes more.
Stir in sage & pepper. Reduce heat to low; stir in broth to achieve desired consistency. Add cooked barley; toss to coat. Remove from heat; transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with parsley. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

I made it, ate it for a couple days and then tonight I stuffed my green peppers with it and we're having it for dinner (in the crockpot) tomorrow!

1 comment:

Trish said...

I love Barley too...sounds yummy!